Graphic design is the process of visual communication and problem-solving through the use of illustration, typography and photography. Essentially, graphic designers work with words, images, and space to create visual meaning. Graphic designs are used in various media as a means to convey information. For example, you may recognize the Nike “swoosh” or the Coca-Cola bottle cap when you see them online or on clothing items in stores. You’ll also see them in magazines, newspapers, and advertisements for businesses that need to promote themselves such as hotels or restaurants.
Graphic designers can be found in a variety of professions, such as computer and video games, websites, mobile devices, advertisements, books and magazines. These professionals are responsible for creating the layout of an entire publication or business advertisement. They are also in charge of designing logos, brochures, posters and other marketing materials to attract new customers or clients to a business. A graphic designer’s job not only requires creativity and artistic talent but also knowledge of design techniques and how the eye works.
What Does a Graphic Designer Do?
A graphic designer’s job involves translating the client’s message into something that’s visually appealing to potential customers. Some designers use words to convey their message such as advertising slogans or headlines. They may also use photographs, illustrations and words to sell a product or service.
Other graphic designers focus on the design of brochures and other marketing materials such as business cards, letterheads and envelopes. If businesses have their own website, graphic designers are also responsible for creating the look of the site’s design. They must choose colors and images that complement the company’s message. In some cases, these designers may even be involved in the actual programming of a website.
A graphic designer must be creative with ideas to come up with a unique look for a client’s advertisement or visual presentation. They may incorporate color, image and typefaces, lens flare, type adjustments and other visual effects to present a clear message to potential customers. A graphic designer must also have an eye for detail because they are responsible for matching the font selected by the client to suit their brand identity.
What Skills Do You Need?
- Graphic designers must be creative with ideas and have the ability to work within a team.
- They should be strong communicators with excellent attention to detail and organizational skills.
- In addition, graphic designers must be proficient in CAD/CAM or computer aided design or illustration software such as PhotoShop or Illustrator. They must also be able to use graphics software such as Adobe XD, Adobe Flash and InDesign.
- Graphic designers should be good at problem solving, critical thinking and planning. They must be organized and detail-oriented.
- Graphic designers must enjoy working with people and have an eye for good design. A good understanding of typography, color, and layout is important. It is important to also be able to think creatively with a keen eye for detail.
- Graphic designers plan the layouts of printed materials such as newspapers, magazines, books and posters. They use graphics software to edit photographs or artwork into digital images or illustrations.
- Graphic designers create visual concepts from written text that can include both words and pictures called copy or text graphics. Graphic designers may also design web graphics or advertisements.
- Graphic designers do more than just design. They also may select colors and type fonts that are appropriate for the project. They review the project design with clients to get feedback and suggestions before finalizing the design.
- Graphic designers must have an understanding of a variety of art forms including visual and written communication, typography, color, composition and illustration as well as excellent skills in computer programs such as Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. Graphic designers should be good communicators with excellent organizational skills who have a talent for working with others in a team setting.
How to Succeed in Graphic Designing?
Many graphic designers have earned a diploma in graphic design along with specialized graphic designing courses in certain artistic disciplines that may include drawing, illustration, photography and computer graphics. Numerous reputed institutes are there who are providing graphic designing courses in Kolkata. Graphic designers must be versatile with a high level of creativity and should be able to work on their own as well as collaboratively with others. There is a high demand and a shortage of skilled workers in the industry. A one-year associate diploma program or a certificate course in graphic designing will often lead to entry-level job openings in graphic design.