Have you ever watched the clock as the minute hand crept towards 5 PM? Or even worse, have you ever been late because you lost track of time? If so, take some advice from others who suffer from what Time Magazine calls the tyranny of the clock and invest in an 18 minute timer to help keep yourself on track and your workday on task. Here’s how it works: After setting the 18 Minute Timer, start working on your task. When the alarm goes off, stop what you’re doing and take a three-minute break before starting again.
What is 18 Minute Timer?
The 18 minute timer is a time management technique that can help you make the most of your time. The idea is to work for 18 minutes, then take a break for two minutes. This cycle can be repeated as needed. For example, if you have four hours to complete an assignment, break it up into three blocks of time. Work on it for 18 minutes and take a two-minute break before starting again. Once the entire assignment has been completed, reward yourself.
You deserve it! If this is too much, try splitting the assignments in half and giving yourself only a nine-minute break between cycles. Choose 18 Minute Timer, and it’s important to remember not to overwork yourself. Set realistic goals, and don’t let the pressure get to you. Remember, we’re all human!
The Importance of Time Management
We all have the same 24 hours daily, but some people seem to get more done than others. That’s because they’ve mastered the art of time management. They know how to use their time wisely and efficiently. But that doesn’t mean you must be born with this skill set. Anyone can learn how to manage their time and increase productivity by following these easy steps. In short, if you want to make the most of your time, follow these steps:
- Determine what’s important
- Prioritize tasks according to the importance
- Work on the task that has been prioritized as the most important first
- Break up large tasks into smaller tasks if possible so it will feel less overwhelming and easier to complete one step at a time.
- Schedule tasks throughout the day instead of allocating too much time for them (this way, you won’t overwhelm yourself).
- Set boundaries for yourself when starting on a task (i.e., allocate no more than 30 minutes per day to work on a specific project)
- Close out each day by evaluating whether or not you completed what was scheduled for that day (i.e., did I do everything I said I would?)
What is a good time management practice?
Time management is a skill that can be learned and perfected with practice. One way to improve your time management skills is to use a timer. The 18 minute timer, also known as the Pomodoro technique, helps you work in increments.
The idea behind this technique is that 25 minutes is better than 50 minutes when concentrating on one task at a time. After every 25 minutes, take a 5-minute break before starting another one. If you’re feeling overwhelmed or stuck, start by taking a small break for 3 minutes instead of 5 minutes–this will help you regain your focus for the next 25-minute session without stopping entirely. Initially, set 18 Minute Timer and gradually increase the interval over time.
Setting a timer forces you to put away distractions because otherwise, you’ll keep hitting snooze until an hour has passed. When it’s time to take a break, get up from your desk (or do something else) to give yourself some space from what you were doing.
How to use an 18 Minute Timer
A digital timer can be a great way to keep track of your time and schedule. Here are a few tips on how to use an 18 Minute Timer to make the most of your time,
-Set an 18 Minute Timer, or whatever length you need to work. Set it at one-minute intervals so that you know when to switch tasks.
-Decide what needs to get done during those 18 Minute Timer.
-Work as quickly as possible, focusing only on what is in front of you until it is time for a break or an interruption from another task.
-Continue this cycle until all tasks are completed!
How to spend time in a good way?
When you have a limited amount of time, it’s important to spend it in a way that will be productive and beneficial. Here are a few tips on how to make the most of your 18 Minute Timer
1) Don’t try to multitask
2) Complete one task before moving on to another
3) Avoid distractions like TV or phone calls 4) Focus your energy on one thing at a time. Don’t allow yourself to get distracted. Distractions often lead to wasting time because they pull your attention away from what needs to be done right now.